Thursday, June 22, 2006

the hook brings you back

yesterday started out kind of rough. clinic was swamped. i pre-test counseled nearly a dozen people before lunch. several particularly sad cases, recovering heroine user (4 days clean--he came over from detox), 22, with 2 kids, wife left him and he was a cutter. nice guy, sad story.

i knew i had a middle school gig in the afternoon, i treated myself to moe's for lunch, i was in serious need of a pick-me-up and nothing says lovin' like a joey bag of donuts with fresh jalapenos.

i love working with the middle school kids, because when im making a list of body fluids, we say words like poo and snot. the teacher that schedules me for TRAIL (taking responsible actions in life) calls my "HIV 101" class, "a stand-up comedy routine". i like making the kids laugh, and i think they actually learn something.

after work i headed to gastonia to meet jenny, of "yay for jenny cartee pottery!" to pick up nate and erin's dishes. they registered for a whole set of fun jenny cartee pottery. some lucky friends are going to haul it up to michigan next week for their wedding.

on the way home i was jammin' out to my fancy cd from fancy celeste for winning the it pays to pay attention competition. as the sun set over my left shoulder and the temperature cooled to 87 degrees, i rolled down the windows, opened the sunroof and sang with my tone deaf self. i thought about how excited i am that miriam is coming to see me next week (and staying for a whole month!), how fun nate's wedding and weekend of fun on the u.p. will be, and how much i like jenny cartee and her fancy pottery. i pondered jenny's explanation of my fascination with all things star-like (she just read the da vinci code). i was definitely in a lala sing-along-with-the-instrumental-version-of-its-a-wonderful-world mood. and then i noticed a bright red billboard around the freedom drive exit. in simple white letters it said

"i pooted".

i laughed so hard i snorted. really.

4 comments:

Madam Mim said...

yayayay!!!! i can't wait!1! 1 wwek to go!!!

tara said...

I thoroughly enjoy your blog. Your job sounds tough, but inspiring. When will you be making it down to the "sex-for-alcohol-in-prison" capital of the south? We can promise a good time.

So people can register for Jenny's pottery for their weddings?? I love the stuff Mims has here. I'm going to start slipping pieces under my mattress and see if she notices. (Did you hear that we're staying together? All the more reason for you to get down here.)

Kristina said...

ahh, life is good, especially after surviving a torrential downpour while driving 3 hours this evening

tara said...

this sign - also outside of atlanta. I saw it today and started laughing, but didn't want to tell everyone in the car my blog-reading and blog-posting habits. then they'd be onto me.