Friday, May 19, 2006

the race fans cometh

the message boards over the interstate have been warning us for weeks now: "PREPARE FOR HEAVY TRAFFIC MAY 19-29. EXPECT DELAYS". or as we locals have come to interpret it "do not under any circumstances attempt to buy gas, go to walmart, eat out or leave your home". race week is upon us. for 10 long days the population of the charlotte-metrolina area increases by nearly half a million people. people come from all over the country, world for this. the first signs of impending doom sprouted yesterday. a replica race car was parked outside a local grocery store for pictures and yesterday on my way home from dinner at brixx, i was victimized by a mini-van from pennsylvania that read "charlotte or bust". as traffic crawled down the interstate, a likely intoxicated race fan hung out the window with a hand written sign "call me ...###-###-####". he was screaming "hey sexy! you going to the race? i got an extra ticket. call me!"

and so it begins. the epicenter of race activity is exactly halfway between work and home. my humble commute doubled this morning but a refreshing email from the health director encouraged non-clinical staff to work from home or flex their time when possible. this is good news.

i plan to do nothing this weekend but take care of the pup, maybe watch a different race and relive some derby party magic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

PLEASE MAKE THEM LEAVE!!

I mean come on, Cornelius is not that close to the race track and the traffic situation here is bad enough, adding hundreds more cars really isn't helping things.

I think I'm just going to stay at my house and only leave to drive to work.

Kristina said...

I haven't noticed any signs of racing. But then again I don't get on 85 or live close to the track. The only problems I had on 74 yesterday were the nickel size pieces of hail and the torential downpour.