Sunday, October 09, 2005

say goodbye

today i say goodbye to a very old friend... it is my last day with cable television. obscenely high gas prices and threats of federal budget cuts have resulted in some difficult financial decisions. one way to shave $55 a month (a little over a tank of gas) off the monthly expenses, is to say goodbye to tlc, the food network, a & e and other favorites. i feel like i should sit on the couch all weekend and soak up as much of it as i can. i keep telling myself that its going to make me a better person. i'll spend more time reading (stuff other than for class), writing letters, playing with murray or piddling in the yard. i want to send care packages to friends and family in school far away, get to work on christmas presents (homemade candy and flavored olive oil with herbs from my garden), and to finally put together that photo album for my mom. we'll see.

on to a slightly more shallow topic... there are some wildly entertaining commericials out right now. tripp told me about this one where a girl was juggling mints with her tounge, i just saw it, that is pretty impressive. my favorite has to be the one for intel that says "incredible entertainment experiences in your lap from intel centrino mobile technology"... ha! that makes me laugh everytime.

i wish i was artistic, creative, or something. i spent all day yesterday with my dear friend jenny cartee at the mcalpine pottery show and sale. being surrounded by all that creative energy just reinforced to me that i have no artistic ability whatsoever. i really appreciate people who do. i was verbalizing this observation to jenny who is an amazing potter, and she replied with a "its ok, you're organized and very helpful". aww... thanks jenny, now go make me something cool.

there will be a meeting of SPAM, super people against mondays this afternoon at 4pm, rumor has it that a monday is rapidly encroaching on our weekend. we must act now.

6 comments:

Heather said...

i think so... it was rough there for a while, he even put up a mean post about me, but thankfully its gone now. now he's just jealous that i'm busy watching a house full of teenagers (which are slowly driving me insane)

what happened to you updating your blog harper?
~ your blog fan in the making

Anonymous said...

I dropped cable when I moved to IL in hopes that I'd spend my excess time working. I don't miss cable (or tv for that matter) with the exception of adult swim.. which I hear sucks now anyway. It did not turn out to be a good fiscal decision, as I have replaced a fixed cable budget with an open-ended bombay saphire budget.

Heather said...

word
thanks for the words of encouragement sam... and if you have enough bombay saphire, who cares about anything else anyway, right? by the way, the bottle you left for mims and i during your last visit became a very lovely batch of "huntch punch" at the last bachlorette party we hosted. many thanks, a good time was had by all.

Anonymous said...

Well I am sorry about food network being taken away I know how devistating that is. But imagine how much worse it would be if you lost all TV and couldn't watch lost. Then who would I call to tell me what I missed while I was in my english meeting.

But I'm glad you were able to break away for a short lunch break with me while I was home on sunday.

And when are you going to come visit me at school?

Madam Mim said...

I say we auction off men.. or ourselves for that matter... to perform sexual favors... I think this could raise a nice amount for SPAM and would provide a nice boost to my non-existant sex life... who's with me?

Heather said...

yay mims for posting on my blog :) i heart you. i agree that spam is tragically underfunded, i'm sure we can blame it on republicans somehow. i think a date auction is a great idea. i've offered myself up as "the item up for bid" several times in an attempt to raise money for my organization (regional hiv/aids consortium) but for some reason our board and administration seems to think its a bad idea... something about a conflict of interest. who knows.

all my poor friends... members of the not getting any club (of which i am president), thank you for so readily offering yourselves up for such a worthy cause. details on the date auction to benefit spam to follow.